03 Suzuki Volusia intruder help [Archive] - Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum

: 03 Suzuki Volusia intruder help

Musicnmotorcycles
02-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Hi! Very very new. Have a couple questions. Having some running issues with my bike. It doesn't idle consistently and doesn't ride consistently either. I can feel it bog down. It also wants to die out when I'm downshifitng. Ive already taken the carb off and cleaned it. Still the same issues. So I'm going to put aftermarket cobra slashdowns on the bike and rejet. I'm also wondering if I need to install a new air intake or if just putting a better filter in will help me. Not sure what jet kit to buy either. Please have mercy on me with the hateful comments as I have no idea what the next move is on this bike. All help is greatly appreciated.

scorpion46
02-07-2016, 08:08 AM
I'm no expert , like others here are, but I think there could be a vacuum problem that affects the fuel pump.
I'm sure others will chime in with more specifics.

cigardave007
02-07-2016, 04:15 PM
I'm with the Scorpion on this. Sounds like a vacuum line/Fuel pump issue.

By all means get this cleared up before you do the rejet and pipes.

Musicnmotorcycles
02-07-2016, 04:23 PM
My plan is to take it into the shop and have them do it. Unless you all have some suggestions on how I can troubleshoot it. I'm not incapable of working on engines. I just don't know my entire way around this bike yet. But either way. I planned on taking it into the shop with the new pipes and jet kit when I have it repaired. Which in turn leaves me wondering what jet kit should I match with my cobra slashdowns?

Ghost In The Machine
02-19-2016, 06:15 PM
My plan is to take it into the shop and have them do it. Unless you all have some suggestions on how I can troubleshoot it. I'm not incapable of working on engines. I just don't know my entire way around this bike yet. But either way. I planned on taking it into the shop with the new pipes and jet kit when I have it repaired. Which in turn leaves me wondering what jet kit should I match with my cobra slashdowns?

When my bike decided to kill itself after an attempt to start it on a cold Florida morning, low 40's overnight and windy I had the exact same issues. I also have an '03 volusia that is also carbed, the universal stage one kit would be the best bet but in my case im actually going with the jet kit that comes with a kuryakyn hypercharger.

I had the bike in pieces, never cleaned a carb before in my life but my father had me wrenches in hand since I was 5 so I knew some basic diagnostic rules of thumbs, now my bike has been without a choke cable since 2013 (harder than hell to locate the exact right cable) and it always kinda jostled itself to life, recently debaffled my exhaust and I thought that morning I lost my bike being I didn't have a clue in the world what was going wrong with it, but surprisingly enough after every shop for 50 miles didnt have a jetkit in stock for my bike I started checking things like it was a car, my first thing was black soot all around my spark plugs had a buddy come over and help and after finally getting the plugs out (who has ever heard of a 3/4 inch spark plug?) we held in our hands the OEM plugs from '03 black as night and melted on the bottoms, my battery is from '03 too still holds a charge as well but the point is that was my issue for my bike seeming sluggish to idle and start on a cold or even moderately warm morning Ive resolved to not take it to a shop unless absolutely necessary its often a very simple thing pulls the carb and open up the float chamber...mine was filled with soot as well

if none of those things do it for you then it just might be your fuel pump but just check those things and dont just go with letting a shop handle it dude my bike is my only transportation and I pulled it apart

sorry for the long post figured id toss my experience out there being I had the same issues up to and leading to my bikes day long death.

Musicnmotorcycles
02-21-2016, 02:53 AM
Hey ghost, no problem at all with the long response. Loved every minute of it. I just changed the pipes. And have all new fuel lines, vacuum lines, jet kit, and fuel pump coming this week. Gonna do it all at the same time. If this don't fix it I don't know what else to do Hahahaha. I've already changed plugs and pulled the carb apart and cleaned it. So are you saying that it might be smart to change the battery too? That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea as I'm not sure if the battery has been changed since the previous owner bought it. But anywho, I'll give an update after all the upgrades are done. I really really appreciate everyones responses, the guys on this forum have been amazingly helpful.

Ghost In The Machine
02-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Hey ghost, no problem at all with the long response. Loved every minute of it. I just changed the pipes. And have all new fuel lines, vacuum lines, jet kit, and fuel pump coming this week. Gonna do it all at the same time. If this don't fix it I don't know what else to do Hahahaha. I've already changed plugs and pulled the carb apart and cleaned it. So are you saying that it might be smart to change the battery too? That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea as I'm not sure if the battery has been changed since the previous owner bought it. But anywho, I'll give an update after all the upgrades are done. I really really appreciate everyones responses, the guys on this forum have been amazingly helpful.

Yea, why I came here you would not believe how long of a trip through google you have to take for any information for an '03 vl800 its like a safari sorta, and my battery recommendation stems from it being 2016 and im still running the 2003 OEM battery in my bike, as far as im aware my '03 hasnt had anything replaced unless by me so the fact it took so damned long to die on me like that amazed me

when I bought the bike from an old roommate in 2013 it had been sitting for well over 6 months, 3k miles past due for oil change, no brake, dead battery, and the turn signals all were blown

turned over after 7 minutes on a battery charger, riding it ever since had 12k miles when I bought it, barely touching 30k now, not my roomies fault thought kept getting screwed by his roommate at the time

but those were my experiences, it could be what the others said about a fuel pump, maybe a dry rotted vacuum line (crumbled one of mine when I pulled my carb) or a timing screw issue, have you checked the tee on the pair valve?

last time before my last issue the tank came off at a friends and 5 hours later we couldnt figure out why the bike kept stalling

forgot to put the vacuum line on the tee back on lol.....keep looking and just maybe your issue will be found, lord knows Ive solved every issue through here