This stuff is a miracle additive! [Archive] - Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum

: This stuff is a miracle additive!

NaplesDoug
01-26-2015, 11:04 PM
Time for an unsolicited and unpaid commercial... I ride a 2001 VL800 Volusia that I'm trying to bring back from near-death due to lousy maintenance by a previous owner in Miami. My latest fix was a new used motor with just 14,000 miles (to replace the original, which was on its final legs) and the bike was riding good - until the engine reached operating temp. When it got hot, it developed a motor chug and really rough idle, and it became difficult (even dangerous) to pull away from a stop smoothly.

I had visions of a carb replacement (mine had a f-ed carb adjustment screw) and my mechanic also thought it might be crap in the fuel line, and we were going to install an inline fuel filter.

On the way out of the dealership, on a whim, I stopped in the parts department and asked if they had any good fuel additive. The parts man directed me to a bottle of Yamalube Ring-Free Plus... he said it was great stuff. I was surprised at the $21 price tag, but thought, "What the hell..." and bought it.

It said on the back "1 oz to 10 gallons"... OR... in extreme cases, to do a "shock treatment" of an entire bottle in a full, fresh tank of gas. I had a full and fresh tank, so I dumped it all in.

By the end of the ride home - about 7 miles - my engine was running hot and smooth, with no chugging and a lot more power... almost like a new motor. And every day since has been a good day, engine-wise.

I'll bet at some point in our riding lives, we all hope for a $20 dollar fix right out of a bottle... I found one, so I thought I'd share it here. I'm sold and will probably keep using it for regular maintenance.:wayhappy::wayhappy::wayhappy:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21IbaD82AZL.jpg

Duffy
01-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Carbon on the valves can cause what you described (pre-ignition due to glowing carbon deposit). I run some Sea Foam thru my bike and diesel every 5-10 fill-ups.

westslopevolusia
01-27-2015, 12:03 PM
I run some Sea Foam thru my bike and diesel every 5-10 fill-ups.

How much? Like how much sea foam to gallons of gas and same for the diesel? Or are you talking about your diesel truck or car? LOL

Skrapiron
01-27-2015, 01:02 PM
That stuff is a band-aid. It will help to remove SOME of the contaminants in your fuel system, but not ALL of them. You're still going to need to tear down the carb and inspect the jets (most likely replace them) as well as the fuel lines and vacuum lines due to age. There is no such thing as a mechanic in a bottle.

beezer
01-27-2015, 02:57 PM

Mr. Efficiency
01-27-2015, 03:11 PM
For most problems, I use

Mr. Efficiency
01-27-2015, 03:12 PM
For many other problems, I use64322

Mr. Efficiency
01-27-2015, 03:12 PM
For any other problems I use

Mr. Efficiency
01-27-2015, 03:15 PM
In case of real emergencies

Mr. Efficiency
01-27-2015, 03:21 PM
Disclaimer:

Mr. E realizes this is his second Scarlett Johannsen joke he has told this week.

1. I mean nothing by it Scarlett... We had the thing while you were in town with the Avengers thing, I haven't told anyone... Oh wait. That's three Scarlett Johannsen jokes this week.

2. I would never consider giving Scarlett Jack Daniels and/or Robitussin. She actually prefers a drink called a baby's bottom. Which has cocoa and mint liqueur in it (no, really)

3. Unless Scarlett really wants Jack Daniels and Robitussin. Scarlett, if that is your thing and you're reading this. Come back for the next Avengers movie... We will sit around Flannery's and we will pull a cork and sip all the sauce you want.

OK, 4 jokes, but I'm not counting

Mr. Efficiency
01-27-2015, 03:24 PM
I'll mix it all in a soda stream machine, if you want. Just come back to the house...

Mr. Efficiency
01-27-2015, 03:25 PM
OK five.

Steve Gray
01-27-2015, 04:01 PM
:biglaugh:

Mr. Efficiency
01-27-2015, 04:28 PM
This has motivated me to invent a new cocktail

"The Johannsen relaxer"

5 ounces Jack Daniels
Half a bottle green Robitussin AD
1 melted Hershey's kiss
A jigger of formaldehyde we got in the back with Hitler's brain in it.

Mix blast for two blasts with 5 ounces of water in a soda stream. Serves 2,

Mr. Efficiency
01-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Forget fixing the bike, you could get a gorilla to take off that red dress after a Johannsen relaxer.

Duffy
01-27-2015, 06:06 PM
How much? Like how much sea foam to gallons of gas and same for the diesel? Or are you talking about your diesel truck or car? LOL

I follow the directions for the bike (5 gals on the Vulcan) and use a full container on the diesel (04' Silverado Duramax and truck holds 34 gals).