Just noticing [Archive] - Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum

: Just noticing

genekook
06-17-2014, 10:46 PM
I see a LOT of people in the threads and the answer is "it's a C50" Not sure about everyone but to me that is the equivalent of someone going to a mechanic with a car problem and the mechanic telling them to "turn up the radio and you wont notice it". I am learning as are many others. Those of us with "50's" for some reason either by finances or choice, have them and will for a while. If someone is asking for some advice I know it is kind of funny to pick on the newbie but, after the chuckle offer some advice too. The forum is for bikers and we all were newbies once. Have a chuckle but give advice if you have it too!:crying::crying:

Skrapiron
06-17-2014, 10:56 PM
Um, I hate to break it to you, but it is, what it is. People often expect more out of what they have. It is bitterly apparent in the case of the humble C50. For what it is, it is a great bike. One I proudly owned for 4 years. But when you get down to brass tacks, it is a mildly tuned 800 cc middle weight cruiser. It is not going to run like, or hang with the bigger bikes no matter what you do. It is what it is. An entry level bike to most and the perfect bike to a very few.

Ncoop
06-18-2014, 01:42 AM
It is a bike built to a price, yes. But it also has some advantages for some of us. It's light in weight for one, which suits me as I am a returning rider at 65 years of age with a very steep and long driveway which is not as smooth as the top of my head, unfortunately, on both accounts.

My last bike was an ultra classic and loved it but do not think at this stage that I would want to be pushing that around again, twenty years later.

So, this one fits the bill. My lady is happy to ride around on the back, now that I have modified the numbing of the bum for her. I have no complaints about the C50T at all in respect of what I expected it to be, and what I want to do with it. When/if we do 1000klm rides, then I may need a few more leisurely touring aspects, but for now, it is cracking good fun and that is what I wanted.

pingzing2
06-18-2014, 07:59 AM
I'm one of the "Perfect to a few".

I've owned the Vol for 11 years and, it was my do everything bike. When I thought my Vol was on its last legs, I bought a Nomad. When it came time to dump the Vol, I couldn't do it. So, I replaced the engine. I use the Vol as a daily commuter and ride the Nomad for weekend pleasure rides.

Ride Safe !

DCinCT
06-18-2014, 09:11 AM
I see a LOT of people in the threads and the answer is "it's a C50"

and then you read a different thread....what do you expect...its a HD
don't think anyones knocking the product just realizing the ride is what it is...to me the c50/volusia was a great bike be it first bike or forever bike...bulletproof engine, not too small...not overwhelming either...for me right at the weight point where i was able to fight it back up when I did something stupid like forgetting to put the kickstand down or stopped on a hill with the bars turned...aside from the 04 carbed engine...cold blooded, and looking for a sixth gear which many did by installing a dj drive, the bike did it all.

Mr. Efficiency
06-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Indeed,

1 I had a 50 for a few years, at the time it was a second bike. It was my cruiser. As a matter of fact I replaced a cruiser that cost almost 3 times as much to have it. I know my iron, and I loved my Vol. Were it not for my sidecar fetish and a small garage, I'd still have it.

2. I think where you here some chatter is when people start taking this vey high value bike and start tearing into it. The bike works just fine the way it is. Its a little illogcal to buy a bike that is the best value in the cruiser market and then go spend $3000 on modifying it. Only in America will someone take a perfectly useful piece of machinery and make it less useful in the name of personalization. More power to them, but usually I just shake my head.

3. It really doesn't need any drive train changes, for example. It is a cruiser; simply, because of the too long wheelbase, cruisers really shouldn't be ridden at 80MPH. That being said, the C50 will do it all day and all night, without a single change to it. Change the drivetrain and, surprise, the bike won't rev as high.... wich is exactly what thereally great engineers that designed it want it to do. There is Hayabusa DNA in the Volusia... its suppoed to run at high revs.

4. I spent about $750 bucks on an exhaust and bags ad a windshield... and a seat. And that bike, in exchang, did exatly what I wanted it to do.
The point here is decide what you want from a machine and buy the one that does what you want to do. Don't listen to others, and don't try to second guess the reallygood engineers that designed it

You'll be happier and richer for it. FOr what some guys spent on changing gears in their Vol... I could plan and execute a cross-country trip, and probably get there faster because I didn't finkle with the design.

Jeffrobombero
06-18-2014, 09:57 AM
I love my C50. I hope it lasts long enough to the time when I have the money and the time to buy a large touring ride that my wife will actually get on with me and we can take long journeys together.
I have jumbo bags on mine to fit my 17" laptop and a windshield. The only other thing(s) I would like to add is a loud horn and highway pegs to stretch out a little. I think she rides great otherwise.

472viper
06-18-2014, 10:27 AM
It has a big bike look to it and that is about where it's big bike qualities end. It's just big enough to trick you into thinking you can spend all day on the slab with it. You can, but you won't like it. It's too light and gets blown all over the place. It's speedometer error tells you your running 80 mph, the engines vibes tell you your running 80 mph, and then you get passed by the Good Humor ice cream truck. The C50 is the perfect bike for around town and two lane country roads. Enjoy the ride, winding country back roads at 65mph and the C50 is the perfect bike. Put it on an interstate hiway and try to do 600 miles in a day and you'll wish it was on a trailer.

It's a C50, it's a great bike, just don't ask it to do what it wasn't designed to do.

GVilla
06-18-2014, 11:55 AM
I've wondered how many of us bought a 50 due to financial reasons. Myself, I got mine because I liked the look of it, not caring weather it looked like a Harley or not. My group of riders have Harley's, Kawi's, Victory, and all have bigger motors than my 50. Keeping up is not a problem, but would be nice to have more cc's. In the end, it's your bike. If you want to drop 3K on upgrades on a 3K bike, go for it. Make it your own and be happy with it. Ride on!

summergirl
06-18-2014, 04:04 PM
I bought the first C50 due to its size and styling and price. Used it for 5 years put 61000 kms (38,125 miles) and then traded it in for my second C50. Why, because it does what I need it to do. Love the style, yes it does cruise at 70 mph on the inter-state, yes it does get blown around by the bigger trucks but I don't usually run inter-state except for the short time. I still love the bike. Would I get a different bike........only if the budget would allow me my dream bike or if I could find the right one used.
Until then yes it is a C50 and love it.