Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

2 down on The Dragon (Both Vols?) anyone know these names??

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  colsar 
#1 ·
Glori called me from work and wanted me to relay this story. The story is from the Maryville Daily Times and apparently includes a photo in the the print edition that was omitted from the online version. Glori said she thought both these guys were on Volusias. Does anyone recognize the names Timothy and Corey Verostick??

Father, son crash on Dragon

By Jessica Stith
of The Daily Times Staff

Father and son motorcyclists who were riding the curves of the Dragon both wrecked — throwing the father down a 150 feet embankment on Sunday afternoon.

Timothy Verostick, 46, of Johnstown, Pa., was taken via Lifestar helicopter to University of Tennessee Medical Center where he was in stable condition. His son, Corey R. Verostick, 23, Johnstown, Pa., was taken by Rural/Metro Ambulance Service to UT Medical Center where he was treated in the emergency room and released.

According to Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper Phil Little, the accidents occurred at about 1 p.m. while the father and son were traveling southbound on U.S. 129 between mile markers seven and eight.

Corey Verostick reported that he hit his breaks and his rear wheel began to fish tail, causing him to lay his 2005 Suzuki motorcycle down, Little said.

The father, Timothy Verostick, then lost control of his 2003 Suzuki motorcycle when trying to avoid hitting his son. This caused his motorcycle to run off the side of the road, Little said.

The father's motorcycle went down the embankment and landed at about 10 to 12 feet down. Timothy Verostick flew off of his motorcycle and continued falling approximately 150 feet down the embankment.

Blount Special Operations Response Team (BSORT), Blount County Fire Department, Blount County Volunteer Rescue Squad, Blount County Sheriff's deputies and Rural/Metro Ambulance Service all responded to assist in bringing the injured motorcyclist up the embankment.

"It was really steep," Little said of the embankment.

According to Blount County Fire Department authorities, a "z-system" (rope and pulleys used to pull loads) was used to bring Timothy Verostick up the embankment.

Little said a landing zone was set up near the scene of the accident. Rural/Metro took Timothy Verostick to the zone and Lifestar flew him to UT Medical center.

Little said both father and son were wearing helmets.

Last modified: May 07. 2007 12:15AM

#9 ·
Sorry about that, my bad.... no pic, don't know why I automatically thought they were Vols.. saw this headline between cases and that just flipped into my mind. If we find out anything further, I'll let you know.

#10 ·
Sorry to hear about the accident and glad they will be back to ride again.
Sounds like one might be coming in too hot into a bender and just like in the profient motorcyclist , did the worst thing by hitting the binders too late
thus the wobbles and slide out but who knows maybe sand oil etc.
Just glad they are ok.

#12 ·
kenwood04 said:
i dont know why they crashed, but it sure seems like there has been more and more crashes on the dragon (cruisers)
TBH, in Blount County The Dragon is far from the worst road for motorcycle accidents. There are roads around here that are more open, with longer straights and many riders really push the limits. One news report I saw shortly after moving here featured a sportbike rider being clocked on radar by a THP Officer at over 170mph while the news crew was actually filming. The report didn't hold back on showing that cruisers are sometimes just as bad.

One fact that speaks to how 'dangerous' The Dragon isn't, is that fatalities are very rare on US129 between the river and the NC line, yet Blount County was averaging one motorcycle fatality every 48 hours last summer. A common motorcycle accident is coming into corners way too hot and crossing the double yellow mid-corner into oncoming traffic and being hit. This mistake is just as easy to make on a cruiser, the whole terrible event just happens a little slower.

A friend from New Zealand recently visited and on seeing some of the more brazen motorcycle antics on roads around the county said; "Their balls are bigger than their brains!". Sadly it's true, many riders just leave their intelligence at home when they come here to ride and then, all too often, leave their blood on our roads.

#13 ·
Oddboy said:
kenwood04 said:
i dont know why they crashed, but it sure seems like there has been more and more crashes on the dragon (cruisers)
TBH, in Blount County The Dragon is far from the worst road for motorcycle accidents. There are roads around here that are more open, with longer straights and many riders really push the limits. One news report I saw shortly after moving here featured a sportbike rider being clocked on radar by a THP Officer at over 170mph while the news crew was actually filming. The report didn't hold back on showing that cruisers are sometimes just as bad.

One fact that speaks to how 'dangerous' The Dragon isn't, is that fatalities are very rare on US129 between the river and the NC line, yet Blount County was averaging one motorcycle fatality every 48 hours last summer. A common motorcycle accident is coming into corners way too hot and crossing the double yellow mid-corner into oncoming traffic and being hit. This mistake is just as easy to make on a cruiser, the whole terrible event just happens a little slower.

A friend from New Zealand recently visited and on seeing some of the more brazen motorcycle antics on roads around the county said; "Their balls are bigger than their brains!". Sadly it's true, many riders just leave their intelligence at home when they come here to ride and then, all too often, leave their blood on our roads.
I think we just hear more about the crashes on the dragon. The big ones almost always require airlift out so they get more attention. I am actually surprised there are not more fatalities then there are. It can get crazy up there!

Ride Safe !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.