Car tire - Page 2 - Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 10:17 AM
Senior VR Member
 
bbqjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northwest Arizona
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 23
Thanked 128 Times in 116 Posts
It sounds feasible to me.

“Society is nothing more than people cooperating with other people they'd much rather murder.”


2009 C-50T
2005 Victory Kingpin ('Til the Wheels fall off!)
3 Baja mini's
1 woman
3 Jack Russell's
And a Les Paul
bbqjoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 11:00 AM
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brighton,Ont Can
Posts: 858
Thanks: 98
Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by volusiacrazy View Post
Sometimes I swear people don't even read the posts.

Fully agree with you. You want to know if a car tire could be used on a trike. No reason why not, as one does not lean a trike into the corner like a two wheeled motorcycle. So driving a trike or three wheeler if you will is not unlike driving a car where all wheels are in full contact with the road at all times. On the other hand i would not want to put a car tire on a two wheel motorcycle. But yes, on a trike i would go for it .
henry.
scottscar54 likes this.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you and be happy
henry postma is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to henry postma For This Useful Post:
volusiacrazy (07-15-2018)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:50 PM
VR Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Went darkside is n my last bike ride that way for about 50k I want to go back darkside but want to change the rim over to a m50 at the same time but still have a lot of tread left on my rear
Camaroguy is offline  
 
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
 
beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Slate Belt
Posts: 55,575
Thanks: 2,223
Thanked 4,370 Times in 3,363 Posts
Garage
Yes ,it will work fine but I don't know what size it would take.

beezer is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Senior VR Member
 
guitarjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,649
Thanks: 337
Thanked 321 Times in 303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volusiacrazy View Post
Maybe elaborate some . I don't understand . The bike doesn't lean with the voyager kit on it and I can't ride without it.
Gear was for the ensuing flaming and opinions to take place.


OK. With the Voyager kit, I can see using a car tire, no problem. I remember seeing the car tire size somewhere in the forum. Give it a search and see what comes up. Finding a place that will mount the car tire was a challenge for some people because of possible liability issues.


Good luck!
volusiacrazy likes this.


Plan for tomorrow and live for today.
guitarjim is offline  
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:51 PM
Senior VR Member
 
guitarjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,649
Thanks: 337
Thanked 321 Times in 303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry postma View Post
Fully agree with you. You want to know if a car tire could be used on a trike. No reason why not, as one does not lean a trike into the corner like a two wheeled motorcycle. So driving a trike or three wheeler if you will is not unlike driving a car where all wheels are in full contact with the road at all times. On the other hand i would not want to put a car tire on a two wheel motorcycle. But yes, on a trike i would go for it .
henry.
Have to ask Lu to be sure but I think if you are REALLY riding the trike properly, you will be on two wheels occasionally for very short amounts of time
volusiacrazy likes this.


Plan for tomorrow and live for today.
guitarjim is offline  
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brighton,Ont Can
Posts: 858
Thanks: 98
Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Have to ask Lu to be sure but I think if you are REALLY riding the trike properly, you will be on two wheels occasionally for very short amounts of time

Not at almost 81 years old i would hope..
henry.
scottscar54 likes this.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you and be happy
henry postma is offline  
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Senior VR Member
 
Skrapiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Second Star to the right, then straight on till morning.
Posts: 19,255
Thanks: 984
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,656 Posts
With the Tow-Pac, you never really lean the bike over, but on the other hand, you really don't ride with BOTH wheels on the outriggers touching the tarmac either. It is more or less training wheels for a motorcycle, with will result in you having to steer through corners, more than anything else. A 185/70/15 or 195/65/15 car tire MIGHT fit, but there are a number of drawbacks, even with the Tow-Pac in place. The car tire introduces significant amount of sidewall flex by design, where a MC tire is nearly rigid (also by design). The corresponding suspension components including spring and damping rates are all built and calibrated to expect a certain performance from the tire. Changing that dynamic, changes the overall suspension and can cause handing issues, even with the outrigger. The other consideration is the contact patch and mechanical grip that each tire delivers. A MC has substantially better mechanical grip, especially on wet or slippery surfaces, when compared to a car tire. The car tire in intended to be used in concert with three other tires, all multiplying their grip into braking force. In other words, contrary to what dark-siders like to claim, a car tire actually delivers LESS grip than a MC tire.

If you are willing to accept those issues, then there is no reason to NOT explore it as an option. With the advent of the Spyder and other trike motorcycles, there are now motorcycle SPECIFIC "car tires" that can be purchased and fitted on your bike, which would really be the option I would choose if it were me making the decision.
volusiacrazy likes this.

Current Bikes -->
-1969 Indian MX125 -10-2009 to Present
-2014 Honda CTX1300 - 05-2015 to Present

Past Bikes ----->

-1973 Yamaha RD350
-1991 Harley Sportster 883 XL
-2000 Yamaha XV125
-2003 Piaggio Fly
-2004 Suzuki LS650 - 04-2005 to 07-2008
-2005 Boulevard C50 - 07-2008 to 5-2012
-2012 Vulcan 900 - 05-2012 to 05-2015
-2008 Yamaha FZ6 - 11-2008 to 04-2017
-2006 Star Virago - 05-2011 to 06-2017


Skrapiron is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Skrapiron For This Useful Post:
volusiacrazy (07-16-2018)
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior VR Member
 
volusiacrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Connellsville, Pa.
Posts: 675
Thanks: 30
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrapiron View Post
With the Tow-Pac, you never really lean the bike over, but on the other hand, you really don't ride with BOTH wheels on the outriggers touching the tarmac either. It is more or less training wheels for a motorcycle, with will result in you having to steer through corners, more than anything else. A 185/70/15 or 195/65/15 car tire MIGHT fit, but there are a number of drawbacks, even with the Tow-Pac in place. The car tire introduces significant amount of sidewall flex by design, where a MC tire is nearly rigid (also by design). The corresponding suspension components including spring and damping rates are all built and calibrated to expect a certain performance from the tire. Changing that dynamic, changes the overall suspension and can cause handing issues, even with the outrigger. The other consideration is the contact patch and mechanical grip that each tire delivers. A MC has substantially better mechanical grip, especially on wet or slippery surfaces, when compared to a car tire. The car tire in intended to be used in concert with three other tires, all multiplying their grip into braking force. In other words, contrary to what dark-siders like to claim, a car tire actually delivers LESS grip than a MC tire.

If you are willing to accept those issues, then there is no reason to NOT explore it as an option. With the advent of the Spyder and other trike motorcycles, there are now motorcycle SPECIFIC "car tires" that can be purchased and fitted on your bike, which would really be the option I would choose if it were me making the decision.
Wow, you put some serious thought into that. Thanks.

"04" Volusia 800 Limited

"08" C50 W/ Voyager kit
volusiacrazy is offline  
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Senior VR Member
 
Wiggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 398
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Garage
Kinda depends on the wheel size. I see the stock setup uses 13" wheels, so I guess either 6" or 7" rims, but you tell me...

Anything is going to last longer than a squidgy compound bike tyre that's being made to run permanently upright. Dunlop do a specific trike rear tire... https://www.ebay.com/p/Dunlop-310368...R-15/214762400

Before you ask, it's just a thumbnail...

Lord Wiggo of Berkshire. Archbodger of Volusia
Wiggo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome