Senior VR Member
Join Date: May 2014
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
So ive pulled the back tyre.
Unfortunately my jack didnt lift the rear up high enough to roll the tyre out, so I had to take the final drive off and get it out of the side instead. Not a big issue as the drive had to come out anyway for servicing.
The drive shaft splines were mainly dry, dirty and some orange 'rust water' present, with old dirty grease at the drive end, and bone dry at the trans end.
Removed the dust seal, removed the snapring, degreased everything, applied a lot of molypaste, new dust seal, reassembled. Glad I did it.
Drum brakes, absolutely filthy. Covered in dust, dirt and some light surface corrosion. Cleaned thoroughly with brake cleaner, toothbrush and rags. Used some wet and dry to rough up the brake pads a little. They looked to be about 4-5mm thick.
All done and ready for the new tyre. Glad I did this, it was in dire need of some servicing