Senior VR Member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northwest Arizona
Thanked 121 Times in 109 Posts
Finally got around to replacing the seal and figured that I'd also grease the drive shaft. Everything went smooth till I went to put it all back together. The 2 friction plates kept sliding around as I put the cover on. After numerous attempts, it finally went together. I used Permatek differential and axle gasket maker. We'll see how that works.
Drive shaft came apart easy enough and looked as though it would've been good for a few more years, but it's cleaned up and ready to be installed.
FYI.... the bolts needed to remove the cover were M5×.8×40 or #10×30 both threaded in. Turns out my leak was from the gasket maker. It had been opened before. They used red RTV gasket maker. I know that stuff on sight. It leaked at the rear towards the lower .
I ended up doing mine last fall.
It's rather surprising how little holds it in place.
“Society is nothing more than people cooperating with other people they'd much rather murder.”
2005 Victory Kingpin ('Til the Wheels fall off!)
3 Baja mini's
2 Jack Russell's
And a Les Paul