Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Motorcycle GPS

5K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  jammer699 
#1 ·
So I bought some new Shinko 777 WW's last weekend and donated my 18 yr old tires to the smithsonian.....motorbike wing.

I am now looking to purchase a GPS. I did use my car Garmin GPS one trip but I think the vibrations killed it. I like using one for a constant overview of my surrounding streets and street names as I meander through these New England towns. I also want to try and pre plan trips at home, then load into the unit.

Anyone have one they like?

#2 ·
I have a Garmin Zumo 660. It works great for me. It isn't cheap, I think I paid around $400 for it, but it's lasted me for a number of years. It's also got an MP3 player built into it along with Bluetooth, so it's essentially the stereo for my bike.

The only other one I looked at when I bought it was the TomTom Rider. That one was cool because it had a twisty route option you could turn on to help you find good roads.

Whatever you choose, I'd highly recommend spending the additional money and buying a GPS designed for motorcycles. They are weather and shock proof, so they'll stand up to the abuse a lot better.

#3 ·
I use the Zumo 220 as I prefer the screen size. Rain, vibration, easy to see in daylight have made this a great GPS for me. Runs all day with out being plugged in, but on this bike it is wired.
Tunnel in Zion

Headed down towards Grand Tetons

Only issue and it just makes me laugh a little is that because of the screen size and glove friendly use, inputting destinations takes a few seconds longer.

#4 ·
I've tried to use my smart iphone for travel directions but its too small (and I have tthe large one) at my age to see on the handle bars so I've got an option to buy a used Garmin Dezl 770 that an tractor trailer instructor friend has and never used that much in last 2 yrs - just demo'd to students. At $150 seems like a great deal even tho its got more trucker options and I'd have to pay another 80 for life time map updates, I might have to pull the trigger. I'm surprised there is not much on this site except this post for GPS use. Maybe my search criteria is not selective enough

#6 ·
I'm still using the Zumo 660 that I mentioned above and still happy with it. I'm not familiar with that model, but a dedicated GPS is much easier to see. I would recommend however that you stop depending on looking at your GPS and start listening to it. Consider getting a Bluetooth headset and connecting it to your phone or GPS unit. Turn off the screen and let the voice tell you where to turn rather than trying to look at the screen. It's a lot safer and you actually miss fewer turns that way.

Reactions: DickB
#14 ·
Same/similar unit is sold on Amazon for $30 more. Reviews are so-so, maps are very outdated with no updates available, pirated software, plastic mounting hardware, Bluetooth issues... not worth the time somebody spends to install it and try to make it work.
Tom Tom and Garmin both make motorcycle specific GPS, $350-$700 range plus mounting hardware.

I also use my phone in RAM mount, but my smartphone's optical image stabilization (main camera) and NFC (used for Apple/Google/Samung, etc. payments) failed due to vibration. Same would happen to most electronics not made for motorcycles specific conditions...
Depending on how much you value your smartphone, this should be taken into account. My phone and USB power plug (when charging only) aren't water resistant. This will become more of a problem when I decide to upgrade my used-to-be-$$$$-iPhone to something newer, since I don't want to have the same problem happen again.

Reactions: rabies
#13 ·
Good thread. Right now, I just use my phone (same in my car), but as others have said, the screen can be a bit small if you want to see the roads around you and not just get voice directions from point a to point b. I'm interested in everyone's suggestions as well.

#17 ·
I got a Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S a few months back for a 2100 mile trip and everyday use. You can plan exact routes using Garmin Basecamp PC software and download them to the Zumo. The route will not be altered even if you stray off course. I use Bluetooth helmet speakers. Also the Zumo will Bluetooth to phone; you can play music off phone or download MP3s to Zumo internal memory and/or memory card in the Zumo and play from it. Pause/Play/Skip controls from Zumo even with music from phone. Gives traffic warnings, red light camera warnings, school zone, speed limit changes in advance. Displays and announces text messages. Easy to wire into bike using the aux circuit in the headlamp bucket. Waterproof. Works well with gloves. Quick disconnect to prevent theft. I was very pleased with it and glad I had it on my trip. Many more features than my old Nuvi - brighter screen too. $340.

#18 · (Edited)
I've been using a Zumo 660 for the last several years as a replacement for my old Nuvi550, which became too old and saddle sore.

So far, it's held up very well. The only complaint I have is the display, which is very dim even at it's brightest setting. I've read many similar complaints, but many others are pleased with the brightness, so I'm guessing there may have been some batches with dim displays that got past quality control.

Still, it works well enough for my purposes.

Whatever you get, a good quality mounting system should be used. I'm a big fan of RAM mounts.

I use my Galaxy S7 as a backup GPS. It's not waterproof nor glove sensitive, so it will remain a backup for the time being. It's on a RAM mount, too. (I'm considering ordering a waterproof case that has a glove sensitive screen.) My GPS app is CoPilot.

Between the two, one covers for the weaknesses of the other, so I like to have both on hand.

#19 ·
I've been using a Zumo 660 for the last several years as a replacement for my old Nuvi550, which became too old and saddle store.

So far, it's held up very well. The only complaint I have is the display, which is very dim even at it's brightest setting. I've read many similar complaints, but many others are pleased with the brightness, so I'm guessing there may have been some batches with dim displays that got past quality control.

Still, it works well enough for my purposes.

Whatever you get, a good quality mounting system should be used. I'm a big fan of RAM mounts.

I use my Galaxy S7 as a backup GPS. It's not waterproof nor glove sensitive, so it will remain a backup for the time being. It's on a RAM mount, too. (I'm considering ordering a waterproof case that has a glove sensitive screen.) My GPS app is CoPilot.

Between the two, one covers for the weaknesses of the other, so I like to have both on hand.
What are the benifits of CoPilot over Google maps/Waze?

#21 ·
Whatever you do, don't rely on a Harley's GPS !
We were staring at a HD dealer to our right & Dave's HD gps kept saying "turn left" (and no you couldn't get there by turning left)
Therefore "I" get to be the navigator. Gonna push that thing in a river someday ! :D

#27 ·
LOL.

True story: Ron and I are heading to Rolling Thunder back in May. His Harley has that new fangled "smart" GPS and we tried to use it in order to avoid the beltway rushhour traffic. Well, it had us going east on 395, then touring around Bethesda, before finally spitting us back on 495, going to wrong way.

I quickly took charge and using the power of Waze on my S10, got us going in the right direction again.

Ron is now forbidden to ever plan a ride again.

Reactions: Rob 61
#23 ·
A few other thing about Garmin that Tom Tom doesn't offer (at least last time I checked about six months ago): tire pressure sensors (there are some limitations on compatibility), synchronizing with Garmin action cameras for route recording and a bunch of small features that are mostly gimmicks unless you really need that and they become irreplaceable.

#26 · (Edited)
It is normal to try and save a few $ on already expensive motorcycle gear and accessories, but in on the long run, it is not cost effective when taking into account your time, sweat and frustration.
I've changed 3 or 4 different USB chargers on my bike before I ended up with my current solutions. Aside from spending $10-$30 for each that stopped working, I had to wire these units, find a way to mount and water proof them, go through the hassle of taking the tank off and routing wires to the battery (or if you can, to AUX port in the headlight). Same story with saddlebags: I tried to repair saddlebags that came with the bike when I bought it, spend $50+ on McGyvering spare parts, only to hear from my wife that they look like sh&t cause they are old... Bought another set of inexpensive, but nice looking bags, spent a few days of mounting them to existing hardware: result stripped a fender mounting bolt and nut welded to the inner fender support. Spent more $ and a few more days on trying fix the issue and McGyver a support system for semi-rigid bags and coming-up with a way to lock them... all of that PITA for my nice looking (and inexpensive) bags started falling apart in 4 months after I've mounted them. Now I've spent even more $$$ on a set of higher quality bags (bought used from a forum member). All the money, effort and frustration out of trying to save a few $... Considering how much money and time I've spent, I could have bought a brand new set of high quality hard waterproof bags and have fun for the past year.

P.S. Motorcycling is not an inexpensive hobby, ready this: https://www.volusiariders.com/54-ge...cle-motorcycling-hobby-used-c50-1st-bike.html

#28 ·
The S10 is mounted to my handlebar with a RAM mount X mount and the rubber corner keeper. I keep it plugged in to a waterproof USB-C plug, so I can run the screen and bluetooth the directions to my intercom all day long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.