Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Engine oil

5K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  DDawg 
#1 ·
I’m fixin to get the scoot ready for the season, I went to the local auto parts store to get a new oil filter, and oil. I have a 2009 Suzuki Boulavard C50 with 28,000:miles on it and have been useing Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil, 10-40. They were out of that so I got Castrol semi synthetic 10-40 4 stroke motorcycle oil. Is that oil OK to use in my scoot ?
Thanks,
Paul

#2 ·
All oil is good oil, so long as you change it regularly and don't use "automotive" blends. Automotive oils contain solids and friction modifiers which will ruin your bike's wet clutch.

You did just fine.

Reactions: Ragdude
#3 ·
Thanks Skrapiron, I just wasn’t sure if I could use a semi synthetic after useing regular motorcycle oil.
I’ve always used what I hope is good oil, the oil I’ve been useing until now was Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil. I change the oil and filter every 1000-1100 miles, some of my buddies laugh at that and tell me to save the changed oil for them to use, but that’s OK I figure the inside of my engine should be in Pretty good shape. Again thanks you’ve been much more than helpful to me since I’ve joined this forum, and I greatly appriciate all the help and answers you’ve given me.
Paul

#7 ·
The "okay to change from natural to synthetic?" and reverse has been subjected to plenty of sure-enough scientific research -- google and you can find lots of it. But as Skrap has said, the final conclusion of all of it is that which type you use and whether you change from one to the other really does not matter. The things that do matter are -- be sure you are using motorcycle and not automobile oil, and change it often.

#12 ·
In the UK 10w40 is generally recommended for ambient temps of 5-30C. For whatever state you are in just google which viscosity is best for you.
With regards to changing oil, I'd say every 2-3000 miles for dino/semi synthetic or every 2-5000 for full synthetic oil or if you cover neither of those mile limits a year, just change oil annually right BEFORE putting bike into storage.

Change filter with each oil change too, after all you wouldn't take a shower then put the same used underwear on afterwards.

#14 ·
Here's my two cents.

I'm on my third C50 engine. First one had 80,000+ miles and was running fine when a lady pulled out of a parking lot & clipped the bike. Second one I got to 115,000 miles before the timing chain stretched far enough to skip a tooth. Third one (installed in frame of bike two) I have about 50,000 miles on so far.

I get my oil at Dollar General. Just the cheap store brand 10-40 that doesn't say 'energy conserving' on the back of the bottle. I was getting it at Family Dollar and then one day I noticed their store brand had gone to an 'energy conserving' formulation. I use my bike as my main transportation & commute 100 miles a day, in all kinds of weather, all year long. I change the oil every 3500 miles. I used to change the filter every time; but switched to every other time several years ago.

#17 ·
After the Arab oil embargo in the 1970s. fuel efficiency became a top priority to auto manufacturers. Engine oil producers began adding friction modifiers including molybdenum, teflon, graphite and others to help the engine run more efficiently. The downside of this formulation is those solids got trapped in the clutch material of wet bath clutches. This caused them to slip and they have to be replaced once they become contaminated. Motorcycle specific oil is much more than marketing to get you to pay more for oil.

#23 ·
Bananas are endangered. The banana bug has taken over very large areas of plantations and the bananas can't be planted on that land anymore once it's been infested. There is a banana fungus as well which makes it's future look bleak. Bananas as we know them need people to keep them growing since it's a hybrid. They used to have seeds which made them very hard to eat. The Cavendish is the banana we enjoy today.
Banana oil is not suitable for motorcycles.

#24 ·
I have read that dollar general oil has a disclaimer that it is only to be used on cars pre 1935 ,
I have never had my classes to read the label for DG oil nor would I even think of putting it into my bike .......I draw the line at walmart brand oil I have driven well over 1 million miles on walmart oil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.