Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Speedo Sensor Replacement (with pictures)

94K views 115 replies 45 participants last post by  rdisom 
#1 · (Edited)
My speedo recently went further south than I have gone. So when I replaced it, I took a couple of pictures for those that haven't had the pleasure of not knowing how fast you are going. This is on a 2002 Vol.

I jacked the bike up to where there was just a slight drag of friction with the tire to the ground. I did not have to completely remove the wheel, there is enough room to replace the speedo sensor if that is all you have to do.

Here is what the sensor looks like (new). The 4 tabs you see are what breaks off and it will no longer catch the tabs that are part of the hub. Thus it won't spin and will not give you a speed indication.

Next is to remove the pinch bolt, the axle, and spacer.

(facing the bike from the front) Lean the wheel to the right, and you can pull the speedo sensor from the hub. Remove the old broken sensor, grease up the new one. I used the 60 moly grease. And then carefully put the new sensor in.

When mounting the sensor back to the hub, make sure that the tabs are going between the tabs that are part of the hub. This is where most are broken because when folks replace the wheel they do not pay attention to where the tabs are oriented in relationship to the hub tabs. You also want to make sure the locking slot on the back of the speedo housing (fork side) is secured to the small post on the fork.

With that done it's pretty much reverse order to get the wheel back together. Slide the wheel back to the right, put the spacer in, put your axle back in and torque to recommended specs ( I think it's 48 ft/lbs). The manual then recommends that you excersize the front forks before tightening the pinch bolt. I dropped the bike back on the ground and compressed the forks by pushing down on the handlebars. Then replace the pinch bolt and tighten to recommended specs ( I think it's 24 ft/lbs). Go for a test ride, unless you had maintenance hops during the procedure.

Hope this helps someone.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yep, that's what I found. I ordered mine online at onieda suzuki and got them in 3 days, no local dealer. Just make sure you grease it up before reinstalling.

Good pictures to go with mine. You had your wheel all the way off so it was easier to get those views.

#7 ·
... Just make sure you grease it up before reinstalling...
Agreed... Keep that thing greased.

I was having an intermittent squeeking sound during a cold snap and couldn't locate it. I took the rear drive out, lubed the splines, checked the bearings. I then took the front tire off and checked the bearings. Checked all of the brakes front and back... Nothing. Then I checked the speedo sensor and found it dry.

After a little grease, the sqeek never came back.

Edmo

#10 ·
I have a ride this weekend and just lost my speedo, need to get it ordered but would not have it fixed before saturday
As you can see in the pics above every tooth was busted off of mine and the speedo still worked believe it or not! I have no idea how long it was like that and I'm assuming the previous owner my be the culprit for not putting it back together properly. It's pretty self explanatory looking at the parts how to do it.

#9 ·
I have a ride this weekend and just lost my speedo, need to get it ordered but would not have it fixed before saturday

#17 ·
just fixed mine, worked and went just as you said. No seal that I found though. Could not find the part on line for the seal as well. you would think that they would make something a little stronger for something that is moving as much as this part is.

#19 ·
When mounting the sensor back to the hub, make sure that the tabs are going between the tabs that are part of the hub. This is where most are broken because when folks replace the wheel they do not pay attention to where the tabs are oriented in relationship to the hub tabs. You also want to make sure the locking slot on the back of the speedo housing (fork side) is secured to the small post on the fork.

With that done it's pretty much reverse order to get the wheel back together. Slide the wheel back to the right, put the spacer in, put your axle back in and torque to recommended specs ( I think it's 48 ft/lbs). The manual then recommends that you excersize the front forks before tightening the pinch bolt. I dropped the bike back on the ground and compressed the forks by pushing down on the handlebars. Then replace the pinch bolt and tighten to recommended specs ( I think it's 24 ft/lbs). Go for a test ride, unless you had maintenance hops during the procedure.

Hope this helps someone.
My speedo went south yesterday. No speed, no miles, just the clock working so I am suspecting my issue is the topic of this thread.

I am far from a mechanic but I think I can replace this magnet on my own. My question is about what I colored in red. How do I torque and measure the torque? Don't laugh guys, I seriously don't know what the term means and I have to get my bike repaired, heading for the Smokies on the 27th.

Thanks!

#20 · (Edited)
Borrow a torque wrench from someone/shop that is in foot pounds and has the 48# in the mid range.
Also don't drop it or bounce the wrench when tightening....use a steady pressure till it goes "click" or the proper amount is indicated.

Reactions: Circles
#21 ·
Thanks guys. Last time I took mine off, I only had 3 of the 4 "wings" left. Because I didn't have a new one, I re-installed the old one with plenty of grease. Was having the squeak that others have mentioned, and this took care of it. I still should replace it with a new one soon.

Jeff

#28 ·
Just found this. Nice pictures. Speedo just quit and this might be the problem. This looks "easy" for an ignoramous like me. :)

#30 ·
Tagged for future reference (Need to help my son change on his Volusia - he's only been riding around for the past year without his speedo working!)

Sounds like you've done this before T-man. Might be calling on you for advice.

#32 ·
I have had to replace mine twice so far and the one in there now is missing a toof. I looked here for the squeeking noise when it gets cold and see someone else has the same thing and I guess I need to grease it up which is something I never did. Thanks guys.

#33 ·
Like many others, broken tabs was the problem to my speedo. I ordered the parts online from Powersportsplus.com. Great deal and in my hands in 6 days.

I ordered the new sensor and also a seal (I may be wrong, but I didnt see a seal anywhere in there when I pulled the unit holding the sensor away from the hub). I hope it will become obvious when I pull it apart again this weekend.

Anyway, speaking of grease... I have a can of bearing (or axel) grease sitting around. Will that work or do I have to buy some special lube. Of course I need maybe a tablespoon or less. Any advise appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: vmaxdlx
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.