Accessory LED Lighting for Cruiser - Page 2 - Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:05 PM
Senior VR Member
 
FireManC50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 414
Thanks: 4
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireManC50 View Post
Just one more thing: I’ve tried a dozen different brands and styles for both front and back running lights (I replaced rear turn signals with oem front turn/running lights). It is very hard to find a decent led bulb that is long lasting, doesn’t cost like it is made of platinum, and bright enough to warrant spending extra $10-$15 on top of 99 cent that a regular bulb would cost. It is a bit of a trial and error, but here are a few things I’ve learned from experience: less LED chips is usually better. Don’t trust the advertised lumens and 300% brighter claims - almost all of them are bs (unless bulb costs $100 and promises 3/4 brightness of a $5 led), and brightness is perceived due to a more tightly focused beam or different color temp. Pick an led bulb that has either two or three sides with led chips, and a front firing diffuser. A diffuser in the front will give you better coverage, that doesn’t only depend on the turn signal reflector itself. Heat sinks on 99% of LEDs are a gimmick and doesn’t do anything in a fully enclosed reflector, so less LEDs is better - less components to go bad. I’ve tried led bulbs with 30-40 led chips on a tiny bulb, and a good portion of them was burned out from the start (almost impossible to see with a naked eye) and rubbed me of lumens even further substantiating the fact about boughs brightness claims.
Thanks. I think I'll have to wait until I vacation state-side to get these. Your original link @ $22 was reasonable, but when I went to order, they don't deliver to Canada. Amazon ca has them @ $88. I'll dig around, maybe someone else has them at a reasonable rate.
Here is what I found on amazon.ca, seems decent. If you have amazon prime (in Canada?) shipping is free, if not, get a set of 1156 bulbs in addition for the rear (just blinkers) and you should be set. Probably better than aliexpress...

https://www.amazon.ca/AJUMKER-Switch...ws_feature_div

https://www.amazon.ca/Projector-Repl...-9-spons&psc=1

Joy Rider

2008 Suzuki C50 Limited Edition

FireManC50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:58 PM
VR Member
 
tmunoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 175
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintcloudcruiser View Post
Seeking anyone who has added LED Colored Accessory Lighting to their cruiser.

I am referring to the colored LED Accessory Lighting (ie. engine, saddle bags, and/or front forks being illuminated), which come in various colors, display modes, etc. There seems to be many different options available out there, so I am just curious as to what experiences riders may be having with these lights.

If so, what kind/type are you using and how robust is it?
Which manufacturer?
Any pics or videos?

Was it a DIY install or did you have the lighting installed?

Any additional insights would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time!!!
Not sure how your original question was somehow missed......i have wanted these lights before but havent gotten them for these reasons.
My brother had a very expensive set on a Harley-Davidson he owned put on by Harley-Davidson and they almost started his gas tank on fire by sparking, not sure what happened or why. He removed them.
The ones from Amazon have such fine wires that you would never be able to cut and solder them. For those reasons I've never bought one. I thought about buying a LED colored stick on bulb and just place that in various places. Then when I wanted to light up I would just push the button turn it on leave it on for as long as I wanted and then simply turn it off. No wires to run.
tmunoz is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:51 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireManC50 View Post
Here is what I found on amazon.ca, seems decent. If you have amazon prime (in Canada?) shipping is free, if not, get a set of 1156 bulbs in addition for the rear (just blinkers) and you should be set. Probably better than aliexpress...

https://www.amazon.ca/AJUMKER-Switch...ws_feature_div

https://www.amazon.ca/Projector-Repl...-9-spons&psc=1
Thanks! I picked out the wrong keywords for searching. I always like extra light on any bike even in the daylight. Lights this year, maybe lowers next year, if they help with the buffeting on the hi-way.

Cheers!
jimmers is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Senior VR Member
 
FireManC50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 414
Thanks: 4
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post
Thanks! I picked out the wrong keywords for searching. I always like extra light on any bike even in the daylight. Lights this year, maybe lowers next year, if they help with the buffeting on the hi-way.

Cheers!
Lowers help! Any lowers you get, you will need to play with placement and angle, but if you are patient, it will eliminate almost all of the buffeting. My stock c50 windshield (when I use it) is in it's highest position, and c90 lowers plastic part allows to overlap the bottom portion of the windshield. Also, I pointed the edges of my lowers forward, to create a scoop: I found it creates a more forceful stream of air, and brakes the turbulence from the top the C50 OEM windshield, creating a nice pocket of calm air. Depending on the speed, just the tip of my full face helmet gets strong air (this is where the 3 vents are) - perfect. The top edge of my windshield is about an inch lower than my eye level!

Get this plastic (from c90 - it is longer than c50) MEP5810 and bracket from c50: MEM9898.

Plastic: https://memphisshades.com/products/w...-c90-boulevard
Bracket: https://memphisshades.com/products/w...nt=43480636556

Joy Rider

2008 Suzuki C50 Limited Edition

FireManC50 is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:30 PM
Senior VR Member
 
RiderRon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 668
Thanks: 5
Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintcloudcruiser View Post
Seeking anyone who has added LED Colored Accessory Lighting to their cruiser.

I am referring to the colored LED Accessory Lighting (ie. engine, saddle bags, and/or front forks being illuminated), which come in various colors, display modes, etc. There seems to be many different options available out there, so I am just curious as to what experiences riders may be having with these lights.

If so, what kind/type are you using and how robust is it?
Which manufacturer?
Any pics or videos?

Was it a DIY install or did you have the lighting installed?

Any additional insights would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time!!!
Check out this post. I used supernight LEDS. Custom built my kit. Used the LEDS, wiring, silicone end caps and silicone to seal the ends. I soldered all the connections.
Building the kit costs me about $40, I bought everything off eBay.
Wasn’t very hard but a little time consuming but I worked on it over the winter.
I’ve done it on my C50 and 3 other sport bikes.
If you put them on the front wheel remove the tire, I did it with the tire on and it was a pain in the butt.
I used contact cement to secure them and clear silicone. The silicone works better in my opinion.
Just use painters tape to hold them in place until they dry.
https://www.volusiariders.com/#/topics/400073
RiderRon is offline  
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireManC50 View Post
Lowers help! Any lowers you get, you will need to play with placement and angle, but if you are patient, it will eliminate almost all of the buffeting. My stock c50 windshield (when I use it) is in it's highest position, and c90 lowers plastic part allows to overlap the bottom portion of the windshield. Also, I pointed the edges of my lowers forward, to create a scoop: I found it creates a more forceful stream of air, and brakes the turbulence from the top the C50 OEM windshield, creating a nice pocket of calm air. Depending on the speed, just the tip of my full face helmet gets strong air (this is where the 3 vents are) - perfect. The top edge of my windshield is about an inch lower than my eye level!

Get this plastic (from c90 - it is longer than c50) MEP5810 and bracket from c50: MEM9898.

Plastic: https://memphisshades.com/products/w...-c90-boulevard
Bracket: https://memphisshades.com/products/w...nt=43480636556
Whoa! Those LEDs came in and are they ever bright!! No rewiring required, but I do have the CustomLED relay.
Thanks for the suggestion, there's enough light even with the stock orange lens to be noticed during the day.
...and my other half approved withdrawing funds for lowers.
jimmers is offline  
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:13 PM
Senior VR Member
 
FireManC50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 414
Thanks: 4
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers View Post
Whoa! Those LEDs came in and are they ever bright!! No rewiring required, but I do have the CustomLED relay.
Thanks for the suggestion, there's enough light even with the stock orange lens to be noticed during the day.
...and my other half approved withdrawing funds for lowers.
Please do post pictures

Joy Rider

2008 Suzuki C50 Limited Edition

FireManC50 is offline  
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:22 PM
VR Member
 
tmunoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 175
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintcloudcruiser View Post
Seeking anyone who has added LED Colored Accessory Lighting to their cruiser.

I am referring to the colored LED Accessory Lighting (ie. engine, saddle bags, and/or front forks being illuminated), which come in various colors, display modes, etc. There seems to be many different options available out there, so I am just curious as to what experiences riders may be having with these lights.

If so, what kind/type are you using and how robust is it?
Which manufacturer?
Any pics or videos?

Was it a DIY install or did you have the lighting installed?

Any additional insights would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time!!!
Well... All these comments were very helpful but not for the OP's initial inquiry. So......anyone have any comments that would help OP original question?
tmunoz is offline  
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:55 AM
Senior VR Member
 
RiderRon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 668
Thanks: 5
Thanked 59 Times in 57 Posts
The thread did get hijacked but I do believe my post covered what was asked.
Thanks
RiderRon is offline  
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:33 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slow in response to LED turn signal pictures. I did notice the 'dashboard' turn lights glow as the bike heats up, getting stronger until about 25%-50%..

Alright now let's see if I can get those pictures attached..


jimmers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome