Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Stebel Nautilus 139db horn - installation review

11K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Paulguam 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I made a short video reviewing the installation of the Nautilus that I've done recently.
Mad horn...finally something that gets the attention when needed.

#2 ·
Marcin,

You're honorarily inducted into the ranks of the VR elite CYFHMN? Stebel Nautillus & WOLO Bad Boy Horn club! 8)

Well Done! on the video, and I believe that I'll sticky Your thread for VR Member, easy access.

#8 ·
I must say that having the exposed connectors from the bottom was probably not the best design idea.
I've heatshrinked all cables, etc.. what else could you do...hmm possible a coat of vaseline around any exposed parts of spade connectors...
Still...it the horn decides to short out internally...there's nothing one can do I think :/

#9 ·
I just joined the ranks of Wolo Bad Boys today. Thanks for your video. The installation is easy, but it is great to see how someone approached it. I pretty much copied everything you did, except that I used the Wolo Bad Boy instead of the Stebel, which appear to be the exact same product. Mine came with a relay, and I added my own wiring and fuse block and connectors. Took about an easy hour and one Dr Pepper (soft drink) to do the job.

That bad boy is LLOOUUDD!! I am tired of being cut off by careless drivers, and they can't even hear that little beep beep horn that comes on the C50, worst horn ever. This should get their attention. Loud horns save lives?

Reactions: Hiflyer
#13 ·
I have had one of these horns for a few years, because I hate that little crap horn that comes stock on most motorcycles. The only problem is I have never taken the initiative to install the thing because I felt like it would be more of a pain than I already feel in my lower back side. :blackeye: After watching this video, I think I can handle it. And since I'm riding in South Korea again (where the cagers try even harder to kill bikers), I really need this!

As for the issue of shorting out the horn in the rain, I wonder if a rubber (or soft plastic) cap over the horn, with the wires fed through the bottom would work to prevent that. Something similar to the positive battery terminal cap is what I'm thinking about.

#14 ·
I had a couple on my C50 -- can't remember exactly what product I used, but I coated the connections with a tube of silicone to protect them. It kept the connections dry and no worries about them coming loose. I mounted mine up fairly high too (bracket connected to the top bolt of my Cobra bars) which probably helped keep it out of the road spray. I rode in plenty of rain and never had a problem, but after about 2 years my first one came apart and seemed to either lose its seal or short out immediately. The second was still working when I sold the bike and probably had about 30,000 miles on it.

#15 ·
I got lucky on my install and located some marine grade electrical connectors. They're crimp-ons but I soldered them anyway. I used a short length of black vinyl 1/2 inch to route the wires, and the relay's got a matching set of connectors there too. Everythings sealed with RTV and there ain't any wires to look at.
I hate wires.
They are so hard to eliminate properly.
If I didn't need them, I wouldn't have them.

Enjoy the horns. They will get anyones attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.