Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Autumn Weekend

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ChuckH 
#1 ·
Sausage gravy, biscuits, coffee. Twelve engines roaring. Fall colors. Winding back roads. Bright sun. Flashing chrome. Dogs barking. Kids waving. Smiles. Scenic overlook. Brisk temperatures. Warm leathers. Chilidogs, Diet Coke. Good friends. Shady rest. Friendly people. Ride. Road kill. Asshole cager. Pizza, beer. Twenty-four pipes in a tunnel. Lean hard. Fiery sunset. Campfire stories. Brotherhood. Farts. Laughter. Warm bedroll. Sleep, dream. Stack-o-cakes, bacon, coffee. Eleven bikes in the mirror. Sails on a lake. A line of fifty bikes waving. Cheeseburger and fries. Ride. Wait for the HD rider to tape his turnsignal back on. White clouds. Gas and a Coke. Ride. Kids in a cage waving. Bikers waving. Daydream. Smiles. Spaghetti and meatballs. Ride. Wave. Peal off. Home. Sit on the bike listening to it creak as it cools. Smile. Sleep.

GET OUTTA BED YOU LAZY SCOOTER TRAMP! YOU’RE LATE FOR WORK!!!

Quigg

#2 ·
HeHeHE........ :wink:
Good One :lol:
We're waiting for the leaves to change around here . As soon as they do , we're out in the foot hills . Had her out yesterday morning , BBrrrrrrrrrrr
Even with ALL my leather on , and the weather man saying it was 38 , it was REAL cold ! I guess I'm just not ready for it yet ! :x I love fall riding , though it is rather brief . :cry:
Nice one Quigg ! I liked it . I could smell the hot coffee and bacon .........

#4 ·
Ok, Here’s my thought for the day. Apparently I have gotten a case of Quiggitice. Which isn’t so bad, though I know I cannot compare to the vividness my good ole friend has given me. But, this one’s for you Bud, a tribute in the what may be the worst way…LOL

I step out this morning. Keys in my hand, ridding myself of that morning grogginess. As my body makes it’s way through the door, the cool hits my face, and the crispness of the air hit my lungs. Deep breath…”aaaahhhh yes, I remember what season I like the best,” I think to myself. I take a moment to look about and see the remains of the frost from the night before. I see the new Halloween decorations put out. And I take a moment to close my eyes. A smile comes back to my face, one that hasn’t been there for quite some time. You see, the season as of late has been a little tough. I haven’t gotten anywhere near the amount of riding in I have in past years for reasons I prefer just left unsaid. But today, I decide is a day I must take to two wheels. Even if it is just for the short ride to work. It’s a ride, and better yet, on my favorite kind of day.

Going back inside to grab my jacket and rummage for the warm gloves. I emerge back outside. Engine running, and the headlight just gleaming at me. Slipping onto that cold seat.

As I pull into the street. I feel that first cold blast up the sleeves, and through the small seams. My knees make a fast clench to that cool tank, right leg hitting that air cleaner of course. And off I go. As I make my way, I decide, to make it a slightly longer trip and take the back roads.

“This is the life” I think to myself. Somewhat chuckling, thinking of Quigg’s post about an autumn weekend. I look to my right, watching the geese take to the field like a bunch of bikers to Marcus Dairy in the fall for one last tip of the season. Finding those few dips in the road where the trees cover it and it’s just before that turn you want to take a lil fast so you get that feeling in the middle of your stomach as gravity sets in. Feeling the temperature drop about 10 degrees and there’s that crispness against your ear once again.

I think back to days of barely having enough money to put gas in the bike (not much different now by the way), to ride in December shoving newspaper in my jacket as I get off the second shift and travel home.

I think of riding in sleet storms back from a nice warm hotel room in Kalamazoo and the guy in the Harley racing truck giving me the thumbs up as I pass him. And wanting to flip him the bird but my glove is stuck to the throttle.

I think of days spent smelling those damp leaves, reminding me to be a little more cautious on that turn coming.

I think of a hot cup of coffee and good company on that little weekend trip I took in the cool spring.

I think of early morning rides and getting a nice hot breakfast. Telling Biker stories and jokes with friends, many who have since passed.

All these things I think of and more. Because this is something that is a part of me. It’s a part of who I am. It’s amazing how just a short 45 minute ride can help bring you back to yourself, even if just for a little bit. All these things stay with us.

I wish to remember them all, till I have no more need for memories. And that I’m able to pass these memories, new memories, and help my kids find some of their own just like these.

Fringe

PS. This is as sentimental yer gonna get outta me! So..take it whaile ya can! :twisted: (ok...feel more like my old self now)

#6 ·
:applause: Quigg and Fringe, you both put up a great post. Now we all have seen the Quigg's articles before but now the Fringe has turned scholar?? :eek:
Quigg's right about Fringe. The name is a disguise to the true man.
Larry

#8 ·
Great post, Fringe. To those of us who can't express ourselves quite as eloquently, we appreciate those of you who do. This is the first section I always look to when I hit the board, hoping that one of you guys have a new story. Thanks, Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.