Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

How to Install LED Flasher

52K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  Chuck Stafford 
#1 ·
This is a step by step on how to install a LED Flasher relay.

Tools
Zap strap
Wire Cutters
crimps or soldering iron
Heat shrink
Electrical tape
wire
Flasher Relay Gorte # 44891

Step 1

Remove secondary gear case cover ( Left side chrome cover )

Step 2
Locate the turnsinal/side-stand relay. Once you have done this you will need to cut the Brown and the Blue with Brown wire (pins F and G)

Set 3

Connect The harnes side of pin G (brown wire)to the input side of the new relay (i soldered and heat shrunk mine) and then connect the harness side of pin F (blue wire) to the load side of the relay.

Step 4

Ground the pigtail onf the relay to a bolt on the frame, and tie the relay up out of the way.

THis is how the light now work. My LED are on the front fairing that lowered the laod.

See less See more
#8 ·
i finally decided to quit being lazy and do this since i keep telling everybody else to do it.

but instead of a 3pin electronic flasher, i just got a 2pin electronic flasher. then i just pulled the brown and blue wire out of the plug body, and put a set of spade connectors on and plugged the relay in. whole deal took probably bout 10minutes.

i didn't see the need for going with a 3pin flasher and having to ground the 3rd pin. that's why they make the 2pin flashers. 1 less wire to worry about.

#11 ·
wiseguydave said:
PhL0aTeR said:
kick me if i missed it, but what is the point of this mod?
LED's flash at hyper speed with the stock flasher.
im well aware of what LEDs do to flasher circuits, just wanted to make sure thats what was going on.

I had LEDs on the busa, but never cared about the rate of flash, my buddy was a bit more anal about it so we just wired in resistors when we changed out his signals.

#24 ·
im well aware of what LEDs do to flasher circuits, just wanted to make sure thats what was going on.

I had LEDs on the busa, but never cared about the rate of flash, my buddy was a bit more anal about it so we just wired in resistors when we changed out his signals.
By putting in resistors in to the system will draw the same amount of power just insted of the light drawings more you are making the resistor to disipate it in heat. By changing the realy you run at less draw but the same flash rate.
Indeed, putting the extra resistor undoes the advantage of low power draw of an LED. The extra heat generated by the resistor, if not dissipated, may be hazardous too.
I am installing led arrows on my fairing but keeping the rear stock turn signals so I have the same question. Will my stockers still flas at the same rate? I plan on installing driving lamps in the original front singal location.
Why do LED turn signals flash at a higher speed? When both the bulbs are working, they draw a certain amount of current. If one of the bulbs fails, that bulb draws no current. Flasher is designed to sense lower current draw and flash at a faster speed. The purpose is to tell the driver that one of the bulbs has failed. In older cars, when your turn signal bulb failed, there was no way for you to know without actually looking.

Since LED bulbs draw much less current than tthe conventional incandescent bulbs, your flasher thinks tha one of the bulbs is out, triggering a faster rate of flash.
If you can disble the current sensing part of the flasher circuit, your LED bulbs should work fine with the stock flasher. The key is whether you can take thew flasher out and open it without damaging. That done, the other challenge is to find out the part of the circuit that senses current draw.

Also flashers work with a certain minimum current draw. If you replace all for turn signal bulbs, the total current draw might be less than the minimum required to make the flasher happy. In that case, even disabling or bypassing the current draw sensing circuit won't help. The only option is to replace the OEM flasher with an LED flasher.

To answer the question raised by Ogre67, the new flasher will work fine with any mix of LED and conventional bulbs as the minimum current required for the LED flasher is much lower. If you have one or more conventional bulbs, the minimum current requirement is sure to be met.

#12 ·
By putting in resistors in to the system will draw the same amount of power just insted of the light drawings more you are making the resistor to disipate it in heat. By changing the realy you run at less draw but the same flash rate.

#32 ·
Thanks for the post. You are absolutely right about the current draw. each turn signal incandescent bulb draws Watts when flashing and 5 Watts when not. If you replace all your turn signals by LED units, you save 10 Watts when not flashing and 42 Watts when flashing. Change your brake light to LED too and your power saving is 63 Watts when braking and turning.

Your battery is only 10 Amp hour and the alternator puts out 375 watts. I don't know how much spare capacity the alternator has beyond charging the battery and doing all the things that are done by electronic signals, such as running the PCM, supplying signals to various sensors and actuators, to coils and all. If you are going to be adding accessories to your bike that are power hogs, such as heated clothing, you need to save power so that you don't over draw from your power generation system.

#16 ·
wiseguydave said:
Having trouble figuring out which blue wire (there are 3 on my C50). Is it the one that is white and blue and heavier gauge than the others......about like the brown wire??
my brown and blue wires where on a 04 vl800. sorry. i was a bit confused to at first, because i had 2 or 3 blue wires, but when i looked at the wiring diagram, i noticed that they were marked differently and paired differently, and then made perfect sense. hopefully somebody else here can send you a pic of your wiring diagram.

#23 ·
I am installing led arrows on my fairing but keeping the rear stock turn signals so I have the same question. Will my stockers still flas at the same rate? I plan on installing driving lamps in the original front singal location.

#25 ·
What about this flasher, is it really just a plug and play?

Suzuki Motorcycles M109 M109R M1800R Turn Signal Flasher rely LED FIX INDICATOR | eBay

TURN SIGNAL FLASHER RELAY LED FIX INDICATOR
Developing for M109R AND SUZUKI ALL BIKES exclusive turn signal FLASHER

After you mod LED turn signal, or just exchange LED bulb then you will get flahing too quickly issue.
We create wide range flasher relay. Its stock 7 pins specification. PLUG & GO!

This Plug-&-go wide-range indicator relay capacity from one LED to 100 Watts at a legal flash rate of 70 flashes per minute.

The best and simply way to remove and exchange your stock flasher relay,you don't need any mod or wiring.
PLUG THIS ONE IN AND AWAY YOU GO!

Easy Install
No cutting or Wiring
Also fit stock bulb
Stock type 7 pins
Fit all 2000~ suzuki bike

FITMENT FOR SUZUKI BIKE :
(Fit most Suzuki after 2000' Motorcycles)
DR-Z 400S / SM (00-10)
GSXR 600, 750, 1000 (2000+)
SV 650, 1000 (ALL YEAR)
GSX 650F (ALL YEAR)
TL1000R (NOT the S) (ALL YEAR)
Hayabusa GSXR 1300 (ALL YEAR)
GSF 600 1200 (ALL YEAR)
GSF 650 1250 (ALL YEAR)
GSX 1400 (ALL YEAR)

#26 ·
What about this flasher, is it really just a plug and play?

Suzuki Motorcycles M109 M109R M1800R Turn Signal Flasher rely LED FIX INDICATOR | eBay

TURN SIGNAL FLASHER RELAY LED FIX INDICATOR
Developing for M109R AND SUZUKI ALL BIKES exclusive turn signal FLASHER

After you mod LED turn signal, or just exchange LED bulb then you will get flahing too quickly issue.
We create wide range flasher relay. Its stock 7 pins specification. PLUG & GO!

This Plug-&-go wide-range indicator relay capacity from one LED to 100 Watts at a legal flash rate of 70 flashes per minute.

The best and simply way to remove and exchange your stock flasher relay,you don't need any mod or wiring.
PLUG THIS ONE IN AND AWAY YOU GO!

Easy Install
No cutting or Wiring
Also fit stock bulb
Stock type 7 pins
Fit all 2000~ suzuki bike

FITMENT FOR SUZUKI BIKE :
(Fit most Suzuki after 2000' Motorcycles)
DR-Z 400S / SM (00-10)
GSXR 600, 750, 1000 (2000+)
SV 650, 1000 (ALL YEAR)
GSX 650F (ALL YEAR)
TL1000R (NOT the S) (ALL YEAR)
Hayabusa GSXR 1300 (ALL YEAR)
GSF 600 1200 (ALL YEAR)
GSF 650 1250 (ALL YEAR)
GSX 1400 (ALL YEAR)

thats is great if it really works.... I am not one for wanting to play with cutting too many wires.. I would love to know if this really works too

#29 ·
Ok, so I had installed rear LED turn signals, and nothing up front, and I did get rapid flashing in the rear, which I was ok with.

Now, I have decided to add the LED turn signals to the front. When I connected them to test if they work, this is what they did:

When bike was turned on, the front LED turn signals were on a constant ON, VERY bright. I want to set it up that they are NOT constantly on, but only come on when I use my turn signals.

2nd issue, when I actually use my turn signal, it goes from the VERY BRIGHT CONSTANT ON, to a barely visible flash. When I turn off my signals, it goes back to the VERY BRIGHT CONSTANT ON.

I do have a LED flasher relay that I bought with the LED's, just never got around to installing it.

Would installing it fix my issue? How do I go about changing the CONSTANT ON to OFF?

#33 ·
If you are talking about Volusia, the front turn signal lamps are always on. The real turn signals are normally off except when flashing. So Front bulbs are always on, and real bulbs are always off. Front bulbs are 5W/21W (dual filament) and rear bulbs are 21W (single filament). The 5 W filament is always on. The 21W filament flashes.
Incandescent turn signal bulbs have two filaments one is light all the time and the brighter filament is turned on by a signal from the flasher. LED bulbs to be used as dual intensity bulbs (turn signal or stop light) function by alternately dimming some or all of the LEDs and allowing them to emit to full brightness. The difference between bright and dim in those type of bulbs is not very large.

#31 · (Edited)
I am fully aware there are ways to modify flasher relay by replacing it with electronic one that will work with both LED and indescandent bulbs without cutting wires. Im very good in electronics or can find one online. If modding the flasher, what about bulb under speedo dial?? Curious

I would love to have RED Luxeon LEDs for brakelight, its blinding bright!! Attention getter from rear chuckling...

Deafvl800 rider

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.