Senior VR Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: California, USA
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Replace single contact 1156 socket to dual contact 1157?
This is a question for those that have actually done this or know how to do this mod.
I've searched far and wide on VR search and most suggest LEDs or some branded solution. I am not looking for either of those. Furthermore, most posts don't go into the particulars of this mod, which is why I am starting this post.
Rear turn signals on my 2006 C50T have single contact 1156 bulb and socket, so they are only turn signals.
1. Replace rear OE light with 1157 double contact socket and bulb to make it a running light and turn signal.
2. Replace the lens cover with a red cover.
3. Run rear running light wire to the turn signals.
1157 bulb/socket have 2 offset pins. The 1156 bulb/socket have two in-plane pins. So, it's not a simple matter of putting an 1157 bulb into an 1156 socket.
The 1156 socket is really tight in its housing (don't know how the socket is connected to the socket); the housing encircles the socket and contains the ground wire. I've tried twisting the socket from the housing; didn't work.
1. How did you manage to remove the 1156 socket from the housing?
2. How did you insert and connect the 1157 socket?
2006 Suzuki C50T. All OEM.