DJ Drive serviced. - Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Patchogue, Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,090
Thanks: 15
Thanked 221 Times in 157 Posts
Default DJ Drive serviced.

I removed the DJ Drive from my 07 C50T today and re-installed the original drive in preparation for installing it on my newer 08 C50T (hopefully tomorrow). The drive has about 46K miles on it.

This evening I removed the drive shaft to clean and grease the rear spline. Boy was I surprised at the amount of grease still on the spline when I removed the seal. It was packed with grease. I could have used that thing for another 200K miles. While I had it apart, I cleaned it and re greased, new clip ring and new seal. It should be good for many more happy miles.
__________________
Rich H
2008 DJ C50T
Rich H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,206
Thanks: 574
Thanked 983 Times in 763 Posts
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich H View Post
I removed the DJ Drive from my 07 C50T today and re-installed the original drive in preparation for installing it on my newer 08 C50T (hopefully tomorrow). The drive has about 46K miles on it.

This evening I removed the drive shaft to clean and grease the rear spline. Boy was I surprised at the amount of grease still on the spline when I removed the seal. It was packed with grease. I could have used that thing for another 200K miles. While I had it apart, I cleaned it and re greased, new clip ring and new seal. It should be good for many more happy miles.
How did the grease look? Clean or signs of filings?
__________________
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper, they lose their worth." C. Norris



98' VALKYRIE __________________________ 02' VOLUSIA
t-man403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Patchogue, Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,090
Thanks: 15
Thanked 221 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-man403 View Post
How did the grease look? Clean or signs of filings?
The grease was as clean as the day it was put in. No particulates at all.
__________________
Rich H
2008 DJ C50T
Rich H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior VR Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ct,Columbia
Posts: 10,933
Thanks: 1,014
Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,250 Posts
Default

hey rich...hope things are well your way on The Island...
__________________
Whats the big hurry...slow down and enjoy the ride!

DCinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,206
Thanks: 574
Thanked 983 Times in 763 Posts
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich H View Post
The grease was as clean as the day it was put in. No particulates at all.
I'm always amazed at the way some of the splines on the OEM drives are somehow not lubed from the factory and the damage done. Goes to show what a little lube will do.
__________________
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper, they lose their worth." C. Norris



98' VALKYRIE __________________________ 02' VOLUSIA
t-man403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Patchogue, Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,090
Thanks: 15
Thanked 221 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCinCT View Post
hey rich...hope things are well your way on The Island...
We are in great shape at our home but people in other areas are in bad shape as I am sure you have seen on the news.

One of the members of the Blue Knights chapter that I belong to lives just two towns to the West of us. He lost the entire first floor of his home and his brand new 2013 Harley motorcycle. Many people with out power but we are fine.

Rich.
__________________
Rich H
2008 DJ C50T
Rich H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Patchogue, Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,090
Thanks: 15
Thanked 221 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-man403 View Post
I'm always amazed at the way some of the splines on the OEM drives are somehow not lubed from the factory and the damage done. Goes to show what a little lube will do.
I pulled the drive from my 08 C50T today to install the DJ drive. The front spline had very little if any grease but the spline is in excellent condition. Just under 7K on the bike.
__________________
Rich H
2008 DJ C50T
Rich H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,206
Thanks: 574
Thanked 983 Times in 763 Posts
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich H View Post
The front spline had very little if any grease but the spline is in excellent condition.
That's what I'm talking about right there!
Well at least there was a small amount ........... better than none.
__________________
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper, they lose their worth." C. Norris



98' VALKYRIE __________________________ 02' VOLUSIA
t-man403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Northern Catskill Mountains, New York State
Posts: 6,288
Thanks: 1,879
Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,038 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich H View Post
One of the members of the Blue Knights chapter that I belong to lives just two towns to the West of us. He lost the entire first floor of his home and his brand new 2013 Harley motorcycle.
Man, that sounds *just* like what happened to folks downriver from us during Irene.

.
__________________
Woodswoman
(a/k/a Mrs. BearBait)

2010 Victory Cross Roads, "Doctor Pepper" << FOR SALE http://www.volusiariders.com/51-bike...oss-roads.html
2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"

Woodswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum