Ethanol Update - Page 2 - Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Silverdale, WA
Posts: 1,945
Thanks: 124
Thanked 327 Times in 262 Posts
Default

One rationale for ethanol production in the U.S. is increased energy independence, from shifting supply from oil imports to domestic sources. Ethanol production requires significant energy, and current U.S. production derives most of that energy from domestic coal, natural gas and other non-oil sources.Because in 2006, 66% of U.S. oil consumption was imported, compared to a net surplus of coal and just 16% of natural gas (2006 figures), the displacement of oil-based fuels to ethanol produced a net shift from foreign to domestic U.S. energy sources. Currently the USA is an net oil exporter in 2011 The U.S. exported more gasoline, diesel and other fuels than it imported in 2011 for the first time since 1949.

And becoming an oil exporter wasn't all done by increasing reliance on our internal oil resources there is more than one way to skin a cat. Drilling is one answer but not the only answer to USA energy independence.
Using less gas obtained from imported oil is one way, improved gas mileage vehicles, ethanol, transportation accounts for a lot of our oil usage. But alternate energy sources, wind, water, solar, nuclear, thermal, natural gas, coal, and new renewable energy sources, ethanol, biofuel, and biomass also help us become energy independant.
__________________
The United States of America, founded on the principle that "all men are created equal; with unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"
Happiness 2007 Red & Black C50 Happiness

Last edited by Two Red Ryders; 12-04-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Two Red Ryders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: B'ham. Al
Posts: 6,213
Thanks: 681
Thanked 752 Times in 543 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Red Ryders View Post
The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, President Bush signed it on December 19, 2007 in response to his "Twenty in Ten" challenge to reduce gasoline consumption by 20% in 10 years. The Bush Energy Act directed DOE to assess the feasibility of using intermediate ethanol blends in the existing vehicle fleet. The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) evaluated the potential impacts on legacy vehicles and other engines. In a report released in October 2008, NREL described the effects of E10, E15 and E20 on tailpipe and evaporative emissions, catalyst and engine durability, vehicle driveability, engine operability, and vehicle and engine materials. This preliminary report found that none of the vehicles displayed a malfunction indicator light; no fuel filter plugging symptoms were observed; no cold start problems were observed under laboratory conditions; and all test vehicles exhibited a loss in fuel economy proportional to ethanol's lower energy density

USA Today

E15 alcohol fuel can wreck engines, auto groups' data say

e10 and e15 engine damage - Dogpile Web Search=


Popular Mechanics

Can E15 Gasoline Really Damage Your Engine?

E15 and Engines - Can Ethanol Damage my Engine - Popular Mechanics
kerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Silverdale, WA
Posts: 1,945
Thanks: 124
Thanked 327 Times in 262 Posts
Default

Automakers have filed a lawsuit against the EPA's decision to make E15 (gasoline with 15 percent alcohol) legal for all cars after 2007. They argue that, among other problems, the blend could damage the engine. Wait, moonshiners used to run their cars on 190-proof hooch.

above from the popular mechanics article first they state moonshiners used 190 proof hooch. Then they ignore this fact and speculate on how ethanol could damage your car.

Bush's (NREL) evaluated the potential impacts on legacy vehicles and other engines found that none of the vehicles displayed a malfunction indicator light; no fuel filter plugging symptoms were observed; no cold start problems were observed under laboratory conditions; and all test vehicles exhibited a loss in fuel economy proportional to ethanol's lower energy density.
__________________
The United States of America, founded on the principle that "all men are created equal; with unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"
Happiness 2007 Red & Black C50 Happiness
Two Red Ryders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: B'ham. Al
Posts: 6,213
Thanks: 681
Thanked 752 Times in 543 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Red Ryders View Post
Automakers have filed a lawsuit against the EPA's decision to make E15 (gasoline with 15 percent alcohol) legal for all cars after 2007. They argue that, among other problems, the blend could damage the engine. Wait, moonshiners used to run their cars on 190-proof hooch.

above from the popular mechanics article first they state moonshiners used 190 proof hooch. Then they ignore this fact and speculate on how ethanol could damage your car.

Bush's (NREL) evaluated the potential impacts on legacy vehicles and other engines found that none of the vehicles displayed a malfunction indicator light; no fuel filter plugging symptoms were observed; no cold start problems were observed under laboratory conditions; and all test vehicles exhibited a loss in fuel economy proportional to ethanol's lower energy density.
Very often, laboratory testing conditions fail to duplicate long term real world conditions. Race cars have been run on alki for years. The engines are are purged of fuel at the end of the day and subject to frequent overhauls. A street car may not be driven for weeks and may live in the driveway year round.

Alcohol, with a 130 octane, is a great racing fuel but pretty sorry for the street. Blends don't really bring anything to the party other than issues but such is life in a country run by bureaucracies.
kerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Silverdale, WA
Posts: 1,945
Thanks: 124
Thanked 327 Times in 262 Posts
Default

I personally have had less problems with my vehicles in recent years with the 10% ethanol than I had in the old days before ethanol was introduced with many warning and still warning of dire consequences of 10% ethanol. I have also survived dire consequences from the elimination of leaded gas.

I have read were the current increased cost to manufacture a flex fuel vehicle capable of running on E10, E15, E30 or E85 was about $100. No doubt converting an existing car to E85 capable would cost more do to disassembly and changing of parts but in Brazil it has been done to many vehicles which initially were not capable of running on the current Brazilian standard of E85. My understanding is the 15% gas in E85 is only needed for cold temperature starts of the engines.

For me going from 10% to 15% is likely to be a non event based on the government testing of existing vehicles under the Bush Administration. I suspect some minor plastic parts may not last as long with E15 but major engine components are unlikely to fail. The winter weather has always exposed any weakness in the combustion engines. The use of ethanol E10 has reduced the problems I use to experience in the winter. I suspect it's the ethanol ability to absorb water and prevent water damage in the fuel systems that gets the credit.
__________________
The United States of America, founded on the principle that "all men are created equal; with unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"
Happiness 2007 Red & Black C50 Happiness
Two Red Ryders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: B'ham. Al
Posts: 6,213
Thanks: 681
Thanked 752 Times in 543 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Red Ryders View Post
I personally have had less problems with my vehicles in recent years with the 10% ethanol than I had in the old days before ethanol was introduced with many warning and still warning of dire consequences of 10% ethanol. I have also survived dire consequences from the elimination of leaded gas.

I have read were the current increased cost to manufacture a flex fuel vehicle capable of running on E10, E15, E30 or E85 was about $100. No doubt converting an existing car to E85 capable would cost more do to disassembly and changing of parts but in Brazil it has been done to many vehicles which initially were not capable of running on the current Brazilian standard of E85. My understanding is the 15% gas in E85 is only needed for cold temperature starts of the engines.


For me going from 10% to 15% is likely to be a non event based on the government testing of existing vehicles under the Bush Administration. I suspect some minor plastic parts may not last as long with E15 but major engine components are unlikely to fail. The winter weather has always exposed any weakness in the combustion engines. The use of ethanol E10 has reduced the problems I use to experience in the winter. I suspect it's the ethanol ability to absorb water and prevent water damage in the fuel systems that gets the credit.
I wish you well.
kerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,163
Thanks: 57
Thanked 175 Times in 153 Posts
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Red Ryders View Post
Automakers have filed a lawsuit against the EPA's decision to make E15 (gasoline with 15 percent alcohol) legal for all cars after 2007. They argue that, among other problems, the blend could damage the engine. Wait, moonshiners used to run their cars on 190-proof hooch.

above from the popular mechanics article first they state moonshiners used 190 proof hooch. Then they ignore this fact and speculate on how ethanol could damage your car.

Bush's (NREL) evaluated the potential impacts on legacy vehicles and other engines
Keep in mind that cars from the Prohibition era were very simple compared to today's cars. A 21st century automobile or motorcyle has many more plastic and synthetic rubber parts that can be damaged by ethanol. If E10 is a 'non-event' then why do our gas powered lawn mowers, leaf blowers, chain saws, etc. have so many problems with it? They tend to sit around longer between uses (unlike most our vehicles) and that is where you begin to experience problems.
__________________


"Black Stallion"

2005 Vulcan 1600 (current)
2001 Volusia (current)
1985 Gold Wing (sold)
1985 Magna (sold)
Thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Silverdale, WA
Posts: 1,945
Thanks: 124
Thanked 327 Times in 262 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhoof View Post
Keep in mind that cars from the Prohibition era were very simple compared to today's cars. A 21st century automobile or motorcyle has many more plastic and synthetic rubber parts that can be damaged by ethanol. If E10 is a 'non-event' then why do our gas powered lawn mowers, leaf blowers, chain saws, etc. have so many problems with it? They tend to sit around longer between uses (unlike most our vehicles) and that is where you begin to experience problems.
Maybe you are using gas powered tools made in Communist China by folks (unskilled laborers) with have very limited experience which may be the reason for a lot of current failures with modern small gas tools.

I still have an old Craftsman chain saw made in the USA more than 40 years ago that initially ran just fine with leaded gas and now still runs just fine with E10 Ethanol gas. It sometimes sits for near a year but starts and runs fine when ever I need to use it. As it only has a 14" bar I mainly use it for trimming or light jobs and a bigger chain saw for bigger jobs. Since they introduced Ethanol gas I have found my small power tools have way less problems than in the old days.

One thing I found out over the years was metal fuel tanks and fuel delivery system will eventually rust and screw up the gas delivery system. I have learned my lesson and now buy my small power tool exclusively with a plastic gas tank.
__________________
The United States of America, founded on the principle that "all men are created equal; with unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"
Happiness 2007 Red & Black C50 Happiness
Two Red Ryders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Silverdale, WA
Posts: 1,945
Thanks: 124
Thanked 327 Times in 262 Posts
Default

Those car modern car manufactures must have had to search really had to find materials that can standup to gasoline and gasoline with 10% ethanol but cannot withstand the more powerful 15% ethanol.
__________________
The United States of America, founded on the principle that "all men are created equal; with unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"
Happiness 2007 Red & Black C50 Happiness
Two Red Ryders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior VR Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Port Charlotte Fl
Posts: 1,754
Thanks: 52
Thanked 289 Times in 225 Posts
Default

Ethonal gas has a short shelf life. It has phase seperation. It absorbs water from the air. Then it seperates water/gas. This is where the troble starts. Water in the carb that looks nothing like water. Rust in the tank. Gas additives will NOT put the two back together. The leftover Ethonal sluge will not burn. It will clog small passages.
__________________
I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

'05 Honda VTX 1300R Champion trike Kit. Mustang Seats and Backrests, K & N Filter, Kuryakyn ISO grips, pegs, floorboards, shifter and brake peddles, Cup Holder. Universal passenger arm rests, Wolo horn, Vista Cruise, Shark 600 watt stereo, ShowChrome Risers, lots of chrome.

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/keywasted-1912477
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum