I just finished installing a garage door opener, and while I had initially planned to the the yellow PTP switch, I decided that I wanted to take take a different approach and keep the "Push To Pass" switch for it's intended purpose.
- Clicker universal remote (Mod# KLIK1U) available at Lowes
- Momentary switch (Radio Shack #275-0644)
- 1/2" ID rubber flat washer
The momentary switch requires a 1/2" hole, so in order to drill the cleanest hole possible without the risk of damaging the dash console, I began by first drilling a 1/4" hole, and slowly increased the bit size until I reached 1/2". I then carefully de-burred the edges around the hole, where the chrome plating created a jagged edge.
Next, I soldered roughly 48" of 24ga solid strand wire to the 2 terminals on the switch, and sealed each wire with a small piece of heat shrink tubing to be sure they could not come into contact with each other at any point.
I inserted the momentary switch through the housing, then installed the flat washer on the inside over the threads in order to allow the nut to sit flat without creating a space on the top and bottom due to the moderately curved housing. The plastic nut that came with the momentary switch was then secured to the switch upside down, in order to be able to catch as many threads as possible. Once completely secured, I smeared a bead of clear aquarium silicone around the edge of the switch.
Next I removed the seats & gas tank in order to safely route the wires underneath the tank, alongside the existing wiring harness bundle. I then secured the wires to the bundle with several nylon wire ties to keep them from moving to somewhere that they shouldn't be...
Once the wires were secured, I removed the right side panel and routed the free end of the wires out the side. I trimmed off the excess, leaving about 8" of wire to work with.
Next I dissembled the Clicker remote module, and very carefully soldered the free ends of the wire to 2 contact points under button #1, notched the case for the wire, and reassembled the housing. Using 2 strips of high temp double sided tape, I mounted the Clicker remote inside the side panel and secured the panel back into place.
Aside from the tiny button at the very front of the console, there are no other indications that anything was ever done.