Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

HID headlight and LEDs

983 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rsmscc 
#1 ·
Just managed to take a few pictures

I replaced the stock H4 bulb with an H4 HID bulb color rated 6000.
I wired the low beam to HID and the high beam to the normal halogen bulb ( The bulb housing has 2 bulbs inside)
Dont need the halogen coz HID is super bright. But incase the HID fails ( It does a lot) i can still ride with the halogen till I get home.
I mounted the huge ballast in front of the handlebars with a fat zip tie. So far so good (6 months and counting).

HID kits for bikes nowadays come with very small plastic ballasts that can be placed inside the headlight housing or under the tank. I used my old cars kit

I also mounted 2 tiny leds on the chrome signal cover upside down that will be on all the time. Wired it to the always on tiny 5W bulb which I also swapped out for an LED bulb

I suggest everyone to put HID in their bikes. It helps a lot. Any questions please let me know, I help the best I can

Cheers

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a question about the LED running lights you intalled under the chrome signal cover. Where did you get them? How did you mount them - drill a hole and screw them in?

#3 ·
I found them in an automotive section. They are just 4 old fashioned led "bulbs" in a plastic casing with 2 really thin wires coming out. A pair costs somewhere around 4 dollars. Chinese toys. IM sure youll find something even better.

I would recommend cheap LED running lights in white. They cost 20 dollars roughly for a pair. They are meant for cars. Use just one and it will look much better than what i have put.

I am gonna get me one set soon and figure out a way to mount them on the crash bars. Seen a few bikes with them. They look awesome

No need to screw or anything. They weigh less than 10 grams. I used 3M all weather two sided tape for outdoor operations. 4 pieces of this tape carries 700 grams very easily. So one tiny piece only required to stick the leds permanently on the turn signal chrome housing.

Attachments

#4 ·
And ya, I ran the wires the same way the turn signal wires were going into the headlight. I spliced them with the 5W bulb wire.
I tried giving them different volt, they were dim and 12 V bright. So if i can find them in red i can mount them on the saddle bag as extra brake lights and not be worried about breaking them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.